SOS Free Ratatouille


Never in a million years did I ever think I would be writing the words veggies for breakfast.  This beautiful dish was my breakfast this morning.  Ratatouille...Eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, green peppers, onion and garlic.  I have been eating a pound veggies for breakfast every morning now for over 2 months so it has become a habit...a healthy and beautiful habit!  One I do not want to break! The day just isn't right unless I start it with vegetables and this recipe sure was a delicious way to get it done!



It was not hard and didn't take an awful long time even with the chopping of all the different veggies...I had my breakfast in less than an hour.  And  this could be made ahead of time!  It makes quite a bit enough for at least 3 of my breakfasts. I made a few changes in the original recipe leaving out oil and salt...it turned out delicious! This one is a keeper!

YUM!

Be well!
Chelly




Ratatouille
recipe from MarthaStewart.com

1 can of salt free chopped tomatoes
I large eggplant (1 pound) cut into 1 inch pieces.
ground pepper
2 large yellow onions, diced large
I head of garlic, cloves smashed peeled and finely chopped.
2 bell peppers, any color, seeded and diced large
2 large zucchini (1 pound total), diced large
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp oregano leaves
2-3 Tbsp of red wine vinegar

In colander, toss eggplant with 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Let sit 20 minutes then rinse salt off and squeeze out excess liquid.  In large Dutch oven or heavy pot, dry saute onions, only adding small amounts of water when needed and cook stirring occasionally until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until onions and garlic are soft, 5 minutes.  Add pepper and keep stirring until crisp tender, 4 minutes.  Season with pepper.

Add tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, bay leaf and oregano to pot.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a simmer. Reduce heat medium-low, partially cover, and cook at a gentle simmer until vegetables are tender but not mushy, 15 minutes.  Season to taste with vinegar and pepper, remove bay leaf before serving.


Comments

Popular Posts