Grilled Zucchini and Bean Salad



Sadly, summer is coming to an end and with the holiday weekend 
upon us, I wanted to grill something healthy and yummy. I saw this salad when I was watching the cooking network (my 2nd addiction next to pinterest)  
and thought it looked so delicious I decided to make it.  
I knew I could adapt the recipe to fit the nutritarian plan.



It was very easy to make and I had most of the ingredients in my pantry and fridge.  I made do with what I didn't have by making a few 
substitutions and it still was delicious!  
I love the tex-mex flavors the brightness from the lime juice 
and the kick from the jalapeno and the freshness from the 
cilantro all made this dish a winner!


Put your zucchini down on a very hot grill or grill pan so you get those lovely char marks without the zucchini going to mush.  Give this a try, I used it a a main dish, but it would be a lovely side.  
Bye bye summer!

Be well
Enjoy!



Grilled Zucchini and Bean Salad
Recipe courtesy of Marcela Valladolid

Total Time:
28 min
Prep: 20 min |Inactive Prep: -- |Cook: 8 min
Level:Easy
Yield:4 to 6 servings

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, from about 1 lime
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for brushing ( I did not use the oil)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion ( I used a regular onion...had no red ones)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped (used one jalapeno)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15-ounce) can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3 zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices
DIRECTIONS

Prepare a barbecue or grill pan to medium-high. 

In a medium glass bowl, whisk the lime juice, vinegar and oil until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Add the red onions, cilantro, serrano chiles and garlic and toss gently until the vegetables are coated. Add the beans and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. 

Brush the zucchinis on both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the zucchini on a lightly oiled grill rack until tender, turning over once, about 4 minutes per side. Cut the zucchini crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Add the zucchini to the bowl with the dressing and beans. Toss to combine and serve.

Comments

Popular Posts